Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Clothes & Folding JOY!

Starting with the categories - Clothes & Folding

In Marie Kondo’s book, The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up- she advises decluttering by category and gives specific instructions on how to discard, fold and put away.   The defining factor in Kondo’s book is JOY!


I began with clothes as specified.  Before I begin to tell you about my clothes purge, I must interject that I don’t find much JOY in clothes.  For me, they are just to cover me up so no one gets sick when I go to the grocery store.  Periodically my children and grandchildren come by to visit and its nice that grandma is clothed then too- but frankly I could give a rats ….




The instructions stated to take every piece of clothing in your home out and place them on a pile in your home.   I went pale with shock!   I just did not realize I had so many clothes.  Since I live and work out of my home there were many places that the clothes had gone.  I had also adopted the habit of wearing just a few items unless I decided to go to an event or out to meet friends for exercise or a meal.  

Anyway, this pile of clothes was a big monster. I was afraid!

When I began this part of the KonMari Method, I had not yet gotten the book so I was kind of flying free.  I did follow her advice to only keep those items that gave me joy.  But, I didn’t really go from top to the next item type of clothing- just kept touching and seeing if there was any joy in those clothes.  Now, I had one item that gave me a spark of joy.

It was an old, holey shirt that I had worn when I first started exercising at the YMCA about 9 years ago.  It was unwearable, but it had given me so much joy, I had a hard time discarding it.  Maybe its category was really sentimental. 

Once I had gone through all the clothes, I had received the book and that was great because I was able to learn Kondo’s method of folding and putting away. 

Quite a process!  




No comments:

Post a Comment